Monday 20 May 2013

Elephant Puppet Script

Hi everyone!
Yesterday I found this script, you can use it with an elephant puppet. 
elephant puppet
Elephant puppet








Characters:




Boy

Blind man 1

Blind man 2

Blind man 3

Blind man 4

Blind man 5

Blind man 6

Guide


SCRIPT:




Setting: Somewhere in Asia where an elephant is passing by.







Boy: (enters stage running and yelling). An elephant! Everybody, come see it, it´s coming, it´s coming. Everybody come out, come and see the elephant… An elephant!




(the blind men enter stage walking slowly with their cranes).




Blind man 1: I don´t know how an elephant looks like.




Blind man 2: Me neither.




Blind man 3: Me neither.




Blind man 4: I would like to know how an elephant looks like.




Blind man 5: Let´s wait so we can touch it.




Blind man 6: We will touch it with our own hands. Our fingers are our eyes.




Guide: (enters with the elephant). Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, this big elephant needs to walk through here. Be careful.




Blind man 1: (walking) Good man, please let this poor blind men touch your elephant. We want to know how it looks like.




Guide: OK. Get near one by one. He´s not dangerous. Don´t be afraid.




Blind man 1: (touches the elephant´s body). Mmmm, I can see: The elephant is like a rough wall.




Blind man 2: (touches the elephan´s leg). No, you are wrong. The elephant is like a tree.




Blind man 3: That´s a lie, that´s a lie! My hands tell me clearly that the elephant is like a spear.




Blind man 4: You are completely wrong. I also touched it and I am sure that it´s like a hand fan, and my fingers don`t lie to me.




Blind man 5: Nobody lies to me. The elephant looks like a snake.




Blind man 6: None of you know how an elephant looks like! I think that the elephant looks like a rope to tie packages.




Blind man 1: How do you dare to insult me? I am sure that it looks like a wall.




Blind man 2: I am telling you that it looks like a tree.




Blind man 5: No, it´s like a snake.




Blind man 3: Snake? Not at all! I am sure it looks like a spear.




Blind man 4: It`s a lie. It looks like a hand fan.




Blind man 6: It´s a rope! It´s a rope!




(the blind men start fighting with each other. There´s great confusion and everybody is talking at the same time).




Blind man 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: No one will say that I am wrong… Take this! Ouch, ouch… but I am right…. It´s a rope… It´s a wall… It´s a spear… No, I am telling you that it´s a hand fan… A tree, it´s a tree… Who hit me? Ouch, my back!




Guide: Calm down, calm down! Be quiet! Listen… listen… I will explain everything.




(there`s silence in stage)




Blind Men 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 : Why? …Why?




Guide: (gets into the elephant) Because each of you only touched a part of the elephant. The one who touched the body thought it was a wall. The one who touched the leg thought it was a tree. The one who touched the tusk imagined a spear. The one who felt the ear tought it was a hand fan. The one who touched the trunk remembered the snake, and the shortest one, that only could touch the tail, was sure that the elephant was like a rope.




Blind man 5: Now I understand. Yes, that´s what happened and we all got angry.




Guide: You got so angry that you started fighting with each other.




Blind man 1: We behaved like fools.




Blind man 2: We were wrong.




Blind man 3: We got so furious.




Blind man 4: Because all of us thought we were right.




Blind man 5: But none was.




Blind man 6: Instead of trying to understand.




Guide: Of course, to know the truth we have to know every part.




Blind man 1: We thank you, and the elephant too, for teaching us that it´s better to agree with each other and try to know the truth. Now we know that reality is different depending on how we see it.




Blind man 2: Let´s be friends again.




Blind man 3: Let´s get to know the elephant.




(The blind men walk around the elephant touching it at the same time).




The End.


American poet John Godfrey Saxe (1816-1887) based this poem, on a fable that was told in India many years ago.


Author: A Fable from India


Moral: there may be some truth to what someone says

No comments:

Post a Comment